Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Country Folks Visit the City

I'm finally posting pictures of our spur-of-the-moment trip to NYC. The weather was absolutely gorgeous and we had a wonderful time taking in the sights of the city. There wasn't nearly enough time to see everything, so another trip is definitely in order. We loved the city--such a stark contrast to what we are used to on a daily basis here in good ol' Lancaster County. We were thankful the opportunity came up for Brian to make a delivery to NYC. Once the delivery was made, we were on our way to see the city. I really wished I would've had a pedometer along--we walked and walked and walked some more. We were sure to take in a taxi ride (actually 3) to make sure the kids had the chance to experience a once-in-a-lifetime taxi ride. It was my first taxi experience as well! Let's just say Katelyn and I had our eyes closed for most of the time. When we finally got back to our van, I think Brian had taken a lesson or two from the taxi drivers. He was fitting right in--blowing his horn and changing lanes constantly. "It's what you do in the city," he told me with a grin on his face.  I think he was enjoying it a little too much ;-)

Pictures are worth a thousand words....


Trying to figure out where we're going!





Found the American Girl Place for Katelyn.





Deidre Hall, a TV actress, was at NBC Studios giving autographs.

The kids were fascinated by the street vendors, so we experienced eating 'on the street.'




Then on to the Empire State Building

This pigeon kept getting in the way of my pictures! 

After we gave this some thought, this pigeon flew up 96 stories to join us on the top of the building!  At least we got to ride the elevator!

Views from the top (minus the pigeon)



Oh how kind--it looks like he's actually trying to move to get out of my picture.  Not quite, Mr. Pigeon.  A little to the right yet please.

and again,

and again.  Could it be that a little girl with a big heart for animals is feeding him next to me???  Hmmmm ;-)




 


Where the World Trade Centers once stood.

In the Tribute to the World Trade Center.  This is piece of the airplane that they pulled from the debris.

And a piece of twisted steel beam.  Hard to leave that place with a dry eye.  Very moving.

We stumbled across a street fair on the Avenue of the Americas.  Wished we would've had more time to sample all the flavors that were wafting up the street.  All kinds of ethnic foods!


Driving home through Time Square.  Good night, NYC!



4 comments:

Karen said...

Looks like fun!

Anonymous said...

What a fun day for you and the kids! Loved the pigeon:) I'll have to tell you about the pigeon we hatched from an egg. I bet Katelyn loved the American Girl place. We spent a day there pampering Hannah and her dolls!
Sally

Betty said...

Thanksf or sharing your pictures of NYC. I like the one of you all eating from a cart on the sidewalk. That pigeon looks very photogenic. I wonder how many pictures he gets on.??
Betty

Kim said...

Y'know...I am always willing to accompany you on a future trip to NYC! What a great place to spend a day as a family!!